Thursday, July 17, 2014

#776 it looks easy



The trumpet has always been my favorite instrument.  I love the big bands with trumpet solos, brass bands with plenty of horns and even a drum and bugle corps that can produce the same sound.  As much as I have enjoyed this music for many years, until the other day I had never touched the instrument.



I was at a fine arts fair that had an "instrument petting zoo" -- instead of animals they had all sorts of instruments available for you to touch and try to play.  What a great idea!  So, of course, I went straight for the trumpet and tried to blow a few notes.  Wrong!  No blowing is involved -- I was told to make another sound, and I experimented mightily, but nothing came out.  If I couldn't even create a noise, it gave me a whole new appreciation for those who make beautiful music with it.



Is there something in your organization where people could benefit from the opportunity to have hands-on experimentation?  Do you make something where others could see what it really takes to operate the machinery?  Can you do a technology petting zoo to allow people to play with new programs and appreciate those who have mastered them?  Maybe your food service people make cooking look easy or facilities makes it seem like a piece of cake to turn over a room set up -- what if you let others try?



Those who do things best make it look easy.  Everyone can benefit when they see for themselves that looking easy is really hard to achieve.



-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment