Wednesday, August 1, 2012

#61 fences

Today is August 1, and so begins my annual no-vacation month.  Not just for me, but for my entire staff.  It is the busiest month of the year in my area and so I have imposed an all-hands-on-deck policy for every August.  Barring any significant life event or unchangeable circumstances, nobody takes vacation until Labor Day.

I put this policy into effect in September of my first year on the job.  One year's notice that the rules were changing -- for our area only, not the whole university.  I'm sure it was not my most popular decision, but people have come to know it, plan around it and live with it.  I get almost no requests for exceptions -- now.  The first year, some people thought the policy was for everyone else but not for them or didn't understand why we couldn't have off when others who were also involved in the opening-of-school could.

I am a big believer in setting parameters up front and being clear about them.  It also helps to share the reasoning behind the decision.  It is important to me that we are fully staffed and at our best in August -- and so I built that fence for people to stay within.  It is easier for everyone to know what expectations are rather than being disappointed when I say no later in the game.  I try not to build many fences, but when something really matters I think it's best to outline expectations early and stick with them.  

Lucky for our students -- we'll be at home on the range until September!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment