Saturday, August 25, 2012

#85 the high bar

In a training I led today for student employee supervisors, I advocated for setting expectations and holding students accountable to them.  Someone asked if we couldn't create a university-wide standard instead so that she wouldn't have to listen to students complain why her requirements were higher on her syllabus or in her work positions.  I think that she was missing the point.

If there were broad standards, they would very likely be much lower than the standards I set now.  Personally, I don't need a policy as a cop-out not to own up to the fact that my bar is high; I am proud that it is.  I have greater expectations than (most) other areas because the best employees actually want high standards.  They are willing to put a lot of themselves into the game, because they know they will get more out of it. 

Student employees need to learn the life skill that different jobs (even on campus) have different expectations.  If they want to find a place that lets them sit there and do nothing, let them do it.  I want the students who want to work hard, learn lots and have a meaningful experience that will aid in their career and personal development.  I want the grapevine to carry the message that working in my office isn't easy, but it is where you want to be if you can.

Never apologize for high expectations.  If you embrace "harder", people who want to clear the high bar will gravitate towards you. 

I am reminded of the following quote:
When David Livingstone's work in Africa became known, a missionary society wrote to him and asked, "Have you found a good road to where you are?"  If he had, the letter indicated the society was prepared to send some men to help with his work.  Livingstone's answer was clear and to the point.  "If you have men who will come only over a good road, I don't need your help.  I want men who will come if there is no road."

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment