Saturday, August 18, 2012

#78 VIPs

Time magazine recently published a special edition featuring who editors had determined to be the 100 Most Influential People.  It featured the usual suspects like Gandhi, Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Jesus Christ, Hitler and Steve Jobs.

I was reminded of an exercise I once was given, entitled the Very Important People Quiz.  We were to complete this page:
> Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
> Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
> Name the last five winners of the Miss America Contest.
> Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
> Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.

After much moaning, groaning and blank stares (this was in the pre-smart-phone-era), we were asked to turn the page over and answer these questions:
> List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
> Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
> Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
> Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
> Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
> Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.

Of course, the second part of the exercise was much easier to do.  Both of these things got me thinking about who the most influential people were in my life and what they had in common.  My answer is that they saw something in me that I didn't see myself, told me about my gift and pushed me to attain more. 

Take some time today to actually tell someone about the great things you see in them.  Too often we know that someone is a rising/shining star and just assume they know it too.  Specifically articulate your insights to the person and help them develop the confidence to use their talent to its fullest.  Maybe someday you'll be lucky enough to end up on the back side of the VIP quiz!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment