Sunday, August 5, 2012

#65 try it on

A colleague was pondering whether or not to go on a job interview.  She wasn't sure whether she wanted to leave or whether this was the position she should pursue.  My advice:  "try on the dress."

I recalled to her the countless times that I had seen beautiful clothing in stores that looked great on the model, but not so well on me.  Had I left the store without trying them on, I would have that waft of regret or lingering wonder.  But once I stood in front of the mirror, I was quite content in leaving the clothes on the rack.

I believe that sometimes the best thing to do is to go a little further to try something out.  Go on the interview.  Demo that product.  Attend that workshop.  Talk to that banker.  Accept that blind date.  Babysit that puppy.  

You'll know with far more certainty whether or not it fits than you ever would have known by just speculating about it.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment