Thursday, August 23, 2012

#83 harmony

Today was move-in day for our new freshmen -- my second favorite work day of the year (first is graduation).  It is like being at a wedding -- so much hope and optimism on the part of the main player -- so many tears by everyone; downright weeping by moms, and dads unsuccessfully trying to be stoic on this momentous occasion.  Cameras abounded, as this truly is a significant event in everyone's lives.  

I have never left higher ed since the day I moved in to college more than three decades ago.  I love the cycle of the year and how annual events such as move-in generate an automatic boost of energy and infusion of renewal into the culture.  I started out working on the student affairs side of the enterprise before I switched to the enrollment side of the house.  Instead of move-in being the beginning of the year, in my world, it signifies the ending of another recruiting cycle.  My official job with these students is finished; they have moved in and now I need to move on -- we already started months ago to recruit the next crop of smiling faces that will grace our campus.  

Except for the few occasions where I long to be a more central player surrounded by the spirit and enthusiasm of students, I am so comfortable with my switch to the enrollment arena.  Admissions to me is like my bamboo plant -- it grows in a glass vase and you know when it needs water and when it is full.  It is tangible, measurable and outcomes are clear.  Student Life reminds me of my other plants -- you need a lot more intuition and time to know if you are successful.  You guess on when a plant needs water and you estimate how much -- but you don't know.  While usually you are right and the plants grow and don't die, your impact is much less certain.

I think every job has elements of certainty and intuition.  Every organization moves in cycles with its own rhythm (eg: CPAs in April or retailers in December).  The trick is to find a fit with an organization that is in sync with your temperament and talents and then to bask in those moments when all are in alignment -- like for me today.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment